Say hello to our new great-grandson, Max. Max was so anxious to meet you all that he arrived eight weeks early, scaring the heck out of our grandson Tobias and his wife, Colleen.

Colleen writes from Toronto:

Our Miracle Baby: Maxwell George Frederik Warren Pohl-Weary

Maxwell George Frederik Warren Pohl-Weary

Maxwell Pohl-Weary

Maxwell George Frederik Warren Pohl-Weary was born at 32 weeks, 1:45 a.m. on January 16, 2009.

Although my deIivery was 8 weeks early, it wasn’t entirely unexpected. I’d been telling people for the last week or more that I felt like baby could come any day. After my water broke at 11:20 p.m. on Jan. 18, Tobias and I went into panic mode. The whole drive to the hospital was a surreal experience, Tobias drove while my contractions got more intense, and I spoke to our family doctor by cell. The plan originally was to have me transported to McMaster, as Joseph Brant is not equipped to manage most 32-week-old preemies. However, my labour was too quick, and there was no time for a transfer.

Maxwell made quite a dramatic entrance that was full of exciting moments that I will not soon forget!

He was placed on a CPAP machine to keep his lungs inflated with gentle airflow and help him breathe. By the time the transport team arrived, however, he was able to breathe without any assistance. Maxwell stayed at Joseph Brant’s Special Care Nursery from Jan. 16 until Feb. 3. Although he had been doing quite well, tolerating feeds well, gaining weight and managing decreased temperatures in his isolette — on Feb. 2, Maxwell suddenly developed problems that were identified as possible necrotizing enterocolitis. It was a very frightening development, as Maxwell stopped tolerating feeds, his belly was very swollen, we could see the outline of loops of bowel through the skin, and he was inconsolable with pain. He was transported in the evening of Feb. 3 to McMaster’s NICU by ambulance.

Big sister Sasha holding Mawell for the first time.

Big sister Sasha holding Maxwell.

Dr. Marrin, the neonatologist managing Maxwell’s case for the first week or so at McMaster’s NICU did not describe a very positive situation — stating that Maxwell had a serious case of NEC, with his entire small intestine affected, and that there was a moderately high likelihood that he would experience a bowel perforation that would require surgical intervention. Maxwell was placed on morphine to manage his pain for the first several days in the NICU, kept off food for 14 days, received intravenous nutrition called TPN, and was on a course of three antibiotics during that time. He rallied very well, after the first few days during which the disease progressed, and Maxwell recovered with no need for surgery. He advanced to full breastfeeds, and did well with weight gain.

Maxwell finally came home on Feb. 24, 2009!

Since coming home, Maxwell has gained over an ounce a day, and has been a joyful addition to our family. Big sister Sasha is very proud to help care for him; she has adapted very well to the unpredictable changes. We are blessed to have such strong children, and appreciate “normal” life much more so after this experience.

Welcome to the world, Max!


  1. Jeff says:


  2. Anon says:

    Fabulous! Congratulations to the parents.

  3. Patricia says:

    Congratulations Mr. Pohl! I\’m glad everything turned out well (your newest great-grandchild? How many do you have?).

  4. James says:

    Woohoo! Welcome indeed, Max!

  5. Tina Black says:

    Wonderful! He is a beautiful baby.

  6. PurpleRanger says:

    Good grief, that name is longer than Max is. Congratulations.

  7. Erica Ginter says:

    As the mother of a former 32-week preemie, I am thrilled to hear of your great-grandson’s birth and successful graduation from the NICU. I am sure his progress will continue. Please tell Max’s parents that my daughter, now 14, has thrived despite her early arrival and stint on a ventilator and many months on an apnea monitor at home. She is an excellent writer, artist, and student, and will be attending an International Baccalaureate program in high school this fall. Being a preemie hasn’t slowed her down since she was 10 months old.

    Congratulations to you and Betty on your new great-grandchild! I hope you will update us on his progress.

  8. Colleen Pohl-Weary says:

    So funny – I was searching for some friend’s blogs, thought I’d throw my name in and see what comes up – and look what I found! I feel quite honoured to have a place in this blog – thanks Fred!
    Update on Maxwell: he’s growing like a weed – already almost all out of his 3 month clothes (he’s 4 months old on May 16) – and he’s a really easy going little guy. Happy as a clam, likes to hang out on his own a lot, and does not hesitate to be very loud and clear when he’s not pleased about something. But he doesn’t do much crying and complaining at all, and he REALLY likes his sleep. We are blessed.
    Lots of love from Canada – Colleen, Tobias, Sasha and baby Maxwell

  9. Pip maxwell says:

    Well done. I am fasinated by you name. My name is Pip Maxwell and I live in zimbabwe and my father’s name was Lyon Hyslop Maxwell, but his nick name was Weary Maxwell,
    Good luck Pip.